Monday, July 17, 2006

How many MotoFemina women does it take.....


... to lift the F650GS? One! Each of us successfully met the challenge by righting the downed bike. Jess was able to get it up in record speed and for that she won the book "Long Way Around". Way to go Jess! Charlie Boorman and Ewan McGregor are now living on her coffee table, lucky woman.
On Sunday, we experienced our last riding challenge with our mentors, riding on different road surfaces. We started our ride several miles up Pacheco Canyon road (a dirt road), we descended into Tesuque valley and turned around at the market. We each stopped at the market to pick up different items for a picnic which we would have later that day as a way to say "thank you" to Tina and Patti.
Before our ride, as with every ride, Tina and Patti imparted some key techniques. This day, the techniques centered around riding on the dirt; standing on the pegs when the road gets rough, shifting our weight forward on the uphill (without putting a "death grip on the handlebars") and shifting our weight back on the downhill. The tips they have shared each step along the way have made a huge difference in how fast and how well we've done and today was no different.
I thought riding on the dirt was something I would have to do not something I would look forward to or seek out but I was wrong. Dirt is FUN! The experience reinforced how versatile the F 650 GS is and how enjoyable this bike is going to be.
Now that we have graduated from our mentored rides to going solo, I want to send a sincere and heartfelt thank you to Patti and Tina. You two have helped me overcome fear, develop safe riding habits and been encouraging every step of the way. Thank you!
Next on the agenda- taking Ducatis out for a test ride - Wahoo!

8 Comments:

Blogger Biker Betty said...

Hi Synth,

Love the photo. The back drop is absolutely gorgeous! Looked like a great day. And to do a picnic, what fun! :)

So they timed you in lifting a bike? With my cruiser, I'd lose that one for sure, lol.

I'd posted on Jessica's that dirt trails is something I'd never done. There's an experience you have over me. I've done dirt/gravel roads a little and was uneasy the whole time. You sound like you had fun. Those bikes sound great since they do dual road surfaces.

Do you think the F650GS can do long trips comfortably? I did get to ride the Pikes Peak H.O.G. 5in1 Run this last weekend, despite the cracked toe. WoooHooo!!! That was an absolutely fun experience I will treasure. I hope to do it again in the years to come. This was their 7th annual 5in1. From the time I left home to the time I got back I logged in exactly 450 miles. It was an overnighter. Saturday I did 295 miles and Sunday 155 miles. I did manage to get in a couple of scavanger hunt photo opportunities, which detoured us some on Sunday. We are getting more proficient in U-turns and such. We will drive past something, realize it's on the list and turn around to get it *chuckle*.

I was surprised to read you will no longer have your mentors. What's next for you ladies? I can't wait to read all about it. What ever it is, all you ladies will do great!!

Wishing you great journey's,

Betty :)

11:53 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Synth. Great write up. I didn't hear, is the "death-grip" bad? BB I just got back from a two-hour trip on the GS and it felt pretty good. Mind you, I don't have much to compare it to.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

Laura, thanks for the info. Lately I've been doing some long trips and was curious as to the ride comfort. Last week I did a 450 mile trip and I just got back from a 471 mile trip. Both going through some fantastic mountain passes!! Lots of fun. Two unique opportunities that don't happen often.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Synth said...

Hi Betty,
The HOG 5in1 sounds like great fun! Maybe next year I can join you all. (and you did it with a cracked toe? Yowch!)
Now that we have graduated from mentored rides, we are able to ride solo! I went on a ride this evening and am amazed what confidence and lots of coaching has done for me! It was quite a thrill. Earlier today, Laura, Jessica and I met Tina at the Ducati/Triumph dealiership in ABQ and test road bikes. The best part (aside from the really nice bikes) was all of us riding together.
Did you do much test riding before you bought your bike? From what I have heard, the F 650 GS is a decent all around bike and comfortable for touring.
Happy trails to you Betty!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

Hi Synth,

Congratulations!!! It's great riding with mentors, but once you can get on and go by yourself you know you're there!!!

A week after doing the 5in1 I turned around and did 471 miles to Glenwood Springs and back. Went over Independence Pass. Elevation 12,095 ft high and one of the highest paved mountain passes in Colorado. There are a few places when you look over the edge and it drops for miles (gulp!!). But the scenery is gorgeous. The road wasn't very busy and it was a spectacular ride. My husband and I took our motorcycles and our eldest son drop the SUV with our youngest son. Sometimes our youngest would ride with his dad. We had a fun time. It was an interesting family vacation, LOL. The boys actually enjoyed it.

Before buying my motorcycle the only other one I rode was the one I used while taking the MSR course. After my husband and I passed the course, deciding we loved riding motorcycles, we then looked for our own motorcycles. I teasingly told my husband I wanted a purple motorcycle (my favorite color since I was young) and that week one was in the newspaper. My husband called and we went to look at it. I was crossing my fingers that it would fit (as I'm 5ft 1-1/2" tall). We got there and I sat on it and it fit, YEA!!! So I test drove it, loved it and the rest is history. Actually, the V-Star 650 Custom is just a great bike. The bikes you have been driving sound great, but I just don't think they're short enough for me. I love how they do dual roads. I have been tempted to go to the BMW shop here in town just to look at them.

Good luck on your future solos. Have Fun and Happy Trails to You Too, Betty :)

3:03 PM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

In my previous post my eldest son "drove" not "drop" his dad's SUV, lol. I was in a hurry and didn't proofread very well.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hey Betty, I'm 5' 3" and the F 650 fits just fine. They can lower the bike a few inches on this model so that always helps - I think they take some link out. We've all talked about how height is such an issue with women riders. We're glad to see some manufacturers offering more options for those of us on the smaller side.

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most BMWs can be special ordered in a lowered version, low seat, lower tires, and suspension changes all to make it more comfortable for shorter legs. No charge for these changes, either!

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home