Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A Real Life Batgirl

Did you know Batgirl was a librarian... and rode a motorcycle (named the Batgirlcycle?! - try saying that three times fast)? You've got to check out this 8 minute promotional video (high low) that was created to introduce the character of Batgirl to ABC executives in the late sixties. The idea was to convince executives to add Batgirl as a character in the series in an attempt to pull in young female viewers. She was on for the last season of Batman.

I've been busy talking to other librarian motorcyclists and came across Shirl (short for Shirley) Kennedy - the Uncaged Librarian. Shirl is a librarian and motorcycle enthusiast. She authored the new book The Savvy Guide to Motorcycles. I just got back from a road trip (caged in a car) so I haven't been able to get a copy of her book but she got a great feature on a news station in her home state (which Shirl points out uses every librarian cliche possible) and in the newspaper. In an email response to the MotoFemina project Shirl writes "Every woman who makes up her mind to learn to ride a bike brings joy to my heart. " She posted a short blog about MotoFemina on her Uncaged Librarian blog. She's also got some great moto photos over at Flickr.

In the news feature Shirl says "You can't learn to ride a motorcycle from a book. You can't. But there's things in there I wish people had told me." I'll see if I can get a copy of her book and let ya'll know what I think.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the comment by the librarian "...you cannot learn to ride a motorcycle by a book."

So true. All riders are newbies. That is a good attitude to take: one simply must foster a beginner's mind everytime one throws a leg across a bike saddle. Am always discovering new tricks and tips even after years of riding.
They call it "saddle time" but it is more substantial than that.

Jim Burgel

2:31 PM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

Thanks for the great write-up on Shirl, The Uncaged Librarian. I am looking into buying the book. I have read her blog, even before this, and like it. It is true that you can't learn to drive from a book, you need the saddle time, but books do give lots of great things to practice. My husband threw away his MSF course book, but I kept mine to reread. I feel after time a person can forget some things and it's a great resource. It's great that you have found kindred spirit in the Uncaged Librarian.

I love how Jim, in the above comment, writes about motorcycling. I'm still fairly new myself, but I hope to always be on the lookout for new tips and tricks. Being a short person, 5'2", I'm always looking for ideas and tips.

If a person gets too confident and cocky, that's when a mistake may happen. This is something I have learned in my MSF course. To always be on the alert and thinking ahead (defensive driving). It's one of the best ways to assure a safe ride.

Speaking of libraries, my youngest son is antsy to get to ours. I promised to get him there today so he can sign up for their summer reading program.

So, off we go to the library (he's smiling as he reads this),

Betty :)

6:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Jim and BB, thanks for the great words of wisdom. I think we are each learning about this great culture of motor bikers who share more than a hobby and are always quick to impart information, advice, encouragement and more.

BB I checked out your post regarding our project over on your blog - thanks for the plug!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

You're welcome on passing the word in my blog and thanks for visiting my blog. I just know that regulars to my blog would love to come on over and see how you three are progressing. By the end of the summer you will have learned more than me (lol). But, I will love to learn from you through your posts.

Thanks, Betty :)

10:22 PM  
Blogger Synth said...

Wonderful Blog post Laura! The stereotype of a librarian is certainly not what you or Shirl portray. Maybe you two ,and others, will help change the stereotype :)
I look forward to reading Shirl's book.
I believe we are back on bikes next weekend (June 10/11), are your ready to ride?!

7:19 AM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

I thought you three have been on your bikes since the MSF course and was surprised to hear you won't get back on them till June 10/11. That would drive me crazy. Once I passed the course I couldn't buy a motorcycle fast enough (my husband found me a great used one within a week) and then hit the road (yahooo!!).

Jessica, yes, sadly I have never been blessed with a great memory. Don't worry you will do great and I bet you will remember more then you realized. But if you forget something, so what, just enjoy. It's all about the fun and laughs. I'm sure all three of you will never forget this summer and the friendships you develop.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hey BB, it's true. We've each been waiting patiently for film production to start so that we can get back on a bike. I think each of us is as anxious to begin as the other. It is a competition and part of it is to see who progresses the most so... we have to play fair.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful article.There are lots of information about GMC that also could be awesome.GMC Auto Parts provide best quality Body Parts, Car Accessories, Performance Parts,Automotive Parts, Wheels etc. Our site offers online access to multiple automotive part stores.
Thanks
GMC transmission

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home