Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Dream and the Reality


Wow, I thought June 4th would never get here. After getting a posse together, all I could think about was how I would go about introducing them that day. I was relieved to find out that most of the day would be spent having a good time working with the cast, the crew and with the hair and make-up professionals, Angela and Chaunda. The day sounded more like an adventure. The BMW shop was transformed into a Biker Babe’s Beauty Salon, with bike magazines alongside Glamour mags, melding the feminine with the masculine. Angela and Chaunda helped us become the MotoFemina women; women with a desire to ride but with a more feminine flair.
We also received some great women’s specific BMW gear. Courtney and Greg did a great job with the sizing and ordering, the fit was great! I really like the Light-n-Easy suit, along with the gloves, boots, and well-ventilated Arai helmet (the most important part, in my book).
At the end of the day, the posses arrived. Shana was there in her infamous pink leathers, Troy with a persistent grin on his face because he loves to ride, and Greg with the experience I only dream of and all of whom are on a mission to help me win the bike. My posse has been so supportive and they helped make the shot more relaxed and comfortable.
Saturday the 13th, we were finally on the bike! The new F 650 GS!!! Katherine and Ashley helped us refresh our skills from the MSF course and got us back into a bit of a comfort zone. It also gave us time to become familiar with the bigger bike. I have to admit, I went home wondering if I was really able to ride a bike out in traffic and how in the world does anybody go out right after an MSF course and ride down Cerrillos road or St. Francis drive. Yikes!
By Sunday, I was anxious to get out on the road with Tina and Patti (our riding mentors). I was hopeful the training from Saturday and the MSF course (back in May) would all come back to me. How exciting it was to be out riding!!! It was reassuring to have Patti and Tina along, especially for that first experience. They gave me a great sense of confidence and a bit of security knowing they would be there to help if need be.
I’m jazzed to be able to get on a bike and ride! I am also looking forward with great enthusiasm, mixed with a bit of trepidation, to get more time on the bike and more experience under my belt.
Yippee!

3 Comments:

Blogger Biker Betty said...

Congratulations on your first weekend on your bike. Sounds like you, Laura and Jessica did great.

In answer to "how in the world does anybody go out right after a MSF course and ride down...," I can only answer for myself and I have heard others say the same thing. After finishing the MSF course, I then was on the search for my own bike. Once found and bought I rode the side roads and streets in my neighborhood with my husband till I felt comfortable with my bike. There is also a church with a nice parking lot by my house and I practiced doing u-turns and figure eights in the parking spots. There are hills in my neighborhood and that was great too.

Once I was comfortable with my neighborhood, I branched out to a busier road and then the next thing I knew I was out on major roads in the city having a blast. The MSF course taught me so much in defensive driving and that helped a lot.

Best Wishes, Betty :)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Synth said...

Hi Betty,
Thank you so much for your support!
Slowly working up to riding in traffic makes a lot of sense and exactly the advice that I remember Katherine giving after the MSF course. I'm glad to hear that in doing so you felt better prepared and actually enjoyed riding in traffic.
Good to hear!
Synth

2:00 PM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

"I don't want to end up with a car crammed into the back of the bike"
Jessica, all motorcyclists live with that thought all the time. When at stop lights and stop signs, I try to keep a diligent eye on the traffic behind me till the car right behind me comes to a stop. I always keep my bike in first gear at the lights, just in case I need to suddenly get out of the way. I remember being taught that in the MSF course and thought it was very sound advice.

When I first go to take off, I worried that I would get ran over if I stalled. I learned to get over that thought, as it would increase my chance of stalling. It's a danger, but most cars respect our space and I find they don't even begin to drive forward till I have gotten going. I have stalled and they waited till I got going and then they did too. I've seen the same with other bikers too.

It's something we all have to work through and I know you will do great. Betty :)

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home