Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Making of a Motorcyclist


Last Saturday was the first mechanical challenge for Jessica, Laura, and me.
Not having taken a test in… well, let’s just say it’s been awhile, I was nervous not only to be tested but to also have cameras filming the entire experience. Boy was I relieved when the challenge turned out to be more of an education than a test.
There were still questions, even bonus questions, but Mark Beyer, our “test administer”, was very helpful; guiding us to the answer in one of the two MOMs (motorcycle operating manuals) and sharing with us the importance of each step. He is a wealth of knowledge and his experience is evident.
Also last Saturday, Katherine and Ashley rode down from Taos to teach us skills from the MSF experienced rider’s course. One of the skills we practiced involved shifting our weight to the inside of a curve. The rider is then leaned more so than the bike which in turn allows for greater traction and helps prevent the foot peg or side stand from dragging.

The last event of the weekend came on Sunday. The MotoFemina cast, crew, and mentors (Tina and Patti) met in Chupadero to ride and shoot an episode. Chupadero is a gorgeous valley just northeast of Santa Fe with rolling hills and large cottonwood trees. We rode first with both mentors and then solo. The ride consisted of turning and stopping on dirt, using the engine brake to slow on the descents, as well as putting into practice shifting our weight to the inside in the curves. When it came to riding solo, I was jazzed! It was both liberating and exhilarating! I not only wanted to wave at other riders but everyone who went by! Finally we were able to go out on our own, see how it felt and what we could accomplish. I’ve got the bug to ride! I get it; I get what every rider’s enthusiasm stems from and why they get that sparkle in their eyes.

Check out the videos from the weekend: (Jess is first -yellow/gray suit, Laura is second-all black, and I'm third in blue and silver). video of our riding
One of the last steps, for me, in preparing for a new bike was selling my WRX, my really fun toy. That car was a blast to drive! However, after considerable contemplation, I finally made the decision to sell it, making room for the beautiful, new BMW F650GS (the new toy). The new bike (yet to be named) will occupy a prestigious spot; just in front of the road and mountain bikes and next to the downhill and x-country skis and the snow shoes. For the time being, I will just have to imagine the bike in the space once occupied by the Subaru. I will also go on imagining rides. Often I awake thinking how I'd love to jump on the bike and ride into work; enjoying the early morning quiet and crisp air, while on weekends I think of what roads and places I’d like to explore.
The making of a Motorcyclist continues….

4 Comments:

Blogger Biker Betty said...

Hi Synth, You have definitely got the Riding Bug!!! When I first started riding I spent all my waking moments thinking about riding. Because of certain errands I couldn't ride my bike, and when one went by I would sigh and think what a lucky soul they were. I would dream up errands that just had to be done on my motorcycle and then take the longest way to do them, lol. While I'm not that bad anymore, I still have my moments.

Wishing You Many Journeys,

Betty :)

4:44 PM  
Blogger Synth said...

Hi Betty,
You know it! I'm sure there are errands that require long trips to Colorado Springs. You know, shops that don't exist here in Santa Fe. So don't be surprised if you see me sometime in September :)
Synth

5:26 PM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

Hi Synth,

WOW! You brought up a good idea. Some time when I get hungry for a hamburger I just may need to hop on over to Santa Fe, New Mexico, LOL. Just a "slight" detour, lol!!

Let's see..hmm.. what kind of unique shops do we have here? I know.. Garden of the Gods Trading Post. My avitar (sp?) photo was taken in the Garden of the Gods. There's the ride to the top of Pikes Peak (elevation 14,100 ft.). Now there's a slight detour, LOL!! I have a friend, Christine, who wants to ride to the top of Pikes Peak. I'm sure she's done it once already and she's getting ready to again soon. I will be on vacation at that time, sigh. We may just do it before summer's over. It's on the Scavanger Hunt list, I've gotta do it!

This weekend I hope to be on the Pikes Peak H.O.G. 5 in 1 Run. Five mountain passes in one day, wooohooo!! I cracked a toe last week, but hope to be healed enough. Come on over and join us!

When's your next project activity? You ladies look great on the video's I saw. You're really coming along!! I wouldn't be able to stand all the waiting between weekends and it doesn't appear to be every weekend at that!

Have fun, Betty :)

4:54 PM  
Blogger Biker Betty said...

If one or all of you ladies ever make it to Colorado Springs, I would love to show you around. With the scavanger hunt the Mountain Shadow Riders are doing, I am learning many roads in Colorado. I would have never explored as far as I have, if we hadn't done this. There are things to find to all four borders of this state that I wish I could do. It's an absolute blast and the scenery here is breathtaking!!

I can highly recommend joining a riding group, such as Women on Wheels. There's probably a chapter near you. I have made so many wonderful friends and done many motorcycle rides with them. It's just plain fun!!

Come on over!! Betty :)

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home