Thursday, July 27, 2006

Exploring Northern New Mexico

I took a ride last week on the F650 GS with Torsten from Santa Fe BMW. We jumped on I-25 toward Pecos then north on State Highway 63, following the Pecos River to Cowles, NM - just northeast of Santa Fe. What a beautiful ride! Northern New Mexico never ceases to amaze me with its diversity. We encountered all kinds of riding from the interstate, through a small town and on a scenic highway to a narrow, windy recreation road near the Cowles campground.

I felt so alive. I could really feel the countersteering that I've heard so much about but until now don't know that I've really understood. And yes, I know why its hard to describe. We practiced a bit in gravel and the road was a little wet once we got to the Santa Fe National Forest so I got a good mix of road conditions.

I felt that I made a few rookie mistakes, but it was good. I'm beginning to get the practice I need. If I find I feel I didn't slow down enough before I entered a corner I learn really quick what the ramifications are and correct that mistake the next time. It was a great feeling to hit the open road and was glad to have Thorsten to give me feedback. Thanks to Torsten and BMW for the opportunity to ride and explore the beautiful state of New Mexico from the seat of a motorcycle.

1 Comments:

Blogger Biker Betty said...

Laura,

Glad you were able to get out and enjoy two-wheeling. Sounded like a very nice ride through some beautiful country.

Thanks for sharing it, Betty :)

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home