Monday, May 08, 2006

My Friend Bill




I think everyone either has had or should have a friend like Bill. I learned a lot from Bill not only directly in the skills he taught me in riding and racing a bike (bicycle) but also in the way he lived his life. After this weekend, I found myself contemplating what drives me to do things that are considered "too risky". In thinking back on my friendship with Bill, he taught me about risk and about life. He wasn't a spectator in life he was a participant. He lived life, testing his limits and seeing what life would hand him. He was a great mentor for bike racing. He taught me race skills and strategies: whose wheel to hang onto, when to shift down to gain on a competitor and what to look for in choosing your timing to sprint to the line. Bill's skills on the bicycle came, I believe, from his experience racing cars and motorcycles. Though his technical skills were evident in his racing performance his mechanical skills were top notch. It wasn't by chance that he was the Service Manager at Performance Honda. He knew engines inside and out. My friend Bill took from life all it had to give but he also gave back all he had to give.
After the events of this past weekend, I'm reminded why I take those chances that maybe others see as "too risky" because, to me, that is living and I would rather be out enjoying it rather than putting up a wall up to protect myself.
My friend Bill and I were suppose to get together this week, have a drink, catch up on things and see how he was doing. It would also be an opportunity to learn more about his motorcycling experience. But I won't be having a drink with Bill, nor will I be saying "thanks" for all that he has taught me as he passed away this past Saturday, at the age of 48, due to complications from malignant melanoma (skin cancer). Goodbye Bill and thank you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Synthia, I was so amazed by how well you handled yourself at the MSF class on Sunday, after learning that your friend had passed away. I can see in you some of the traits that say Bill imparted to you. And like I said to you before, I think this lesson is one we can take away from this project. To learn to live life more fully.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home