Monday, May 15, 2006

Looking Forward

I talked to my mom on the phone the other night and told her that I was going to be learning to ride a motor bike all summer as part of the MotoFemina video series. She followed up my exciting news with the customary concerns a parent is supposed to impart on their child when they find out they'll be doing something that involves risk. I explained to her what MotoFemina was all about; I'd get to ride with and be mentored by some very experienced riders all summer, I'd learn and practice mechanical skills, and I'd always have lots of great protective gear on. I think after raising nine kids (I'm number eight) she's learned not to spend too much energy worrying about things that are not in her control.

I learned from a friend the other day that May is National Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. That's funny because I'm suddenly so aware of motorcycles on the road. I told Katherine, one of our MSF coaches, that I thought every licensed driver should participate in some sort of motorcycle saftey class. Is there any more real way of making people aware of motorcycles than putting them on one?

Though I suppose it is possible to take the physical awareness of motorcycles too far. As I was driving my van pool the other day (my first time as an alternate driver) I noticed that I was doing a double take at each motorcycle and motorcyclist that passed me - perhaps glancing longer than was safe while operating a van full of people.

Some interesting facts from the nhsta.dot.gov website for National Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month:
  • In the last 10 years, motorcycle fatalities have increased nearly 250 percent in the 40-and-older age group, and more than 350 percent in the 50-and-older age group.
  • More than 50 percent of fatal motorcycle crashes involve a motorcycle and another vehicle.
  • Helmets are estimated to be 37 percent effective in preventing fatal injuries to
    motorcyclists.

4 Comments:

Blogger Synth said...

Whew, the statistics you quote are staggering. I agree with you, anyone who is getting a license, be it for a car or a motorcycle, should be expected to take the MSF course. I think it would prevent a number of the accidents sited in the report. Just shows how important it it to be conscious of your safety margin,i.e. escape route.
The Monday after our MSF course, I heard a snippet about Motorcyle Safety month. The person on the radio was adovating the MSF training and I thought to myself, well I can now say I've done that and am better off for having done so.
I laughed when you described driving the commuter van and "rubber necking". It seems that bikes are all around me now. I like to see if I can identify the make and possibly the model and whether it's a woman rider.
Let's all try to keep the rubber side down:)

8:55 AM  
Blogger Synth said...

I posted before proofing!
Please excuse the spelling errors -who knows what motocyle and adovating is!?
Synth

10:54 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Ha, I think the beauty of blogs is that we're all obligated to forgive one another's typos.

MOTOcycle: MasterOfTheObvioius is back
Adovating: inciting fuss

12:31 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Jennette said...

I have been saying the same as you. Every licensed driver should have some kind of motorcycle education. I drive completely different after learning how to ride just over a year ago. Love your blog and will put it in my links.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home