Monday, May 01, 2006

An Education in Motorcylces

In two short weeks I've become enmeshed in the world of motorcycling! I've learned more about the bikes, the gear, the types of riders, the types of racing, and gotten a peek into the thrill of riding by sitting on the back of some very fun, very fast bikes. All thanks to SpeedTV www.motograndprix.com
numerous magazines, and friends who are motorcycle enthusiasts (thanks Ann, Lyn, Marc, and Ron).MotoGP has got to be one of the most exciting spectator sports! Watching it on TV has me on the edge of my seat, I can't imagine what it must be like watching trackside. The championship GP bikes reach speeds in excess of 2oomph! What a kick in the pants that must be!Having watched the DVD "Faster", I've gotten quite an education on Superbikes, GP bikes and the guys who ride them. The novice GP riders, who have moved up from winning seasons as Superbike racers, talk about how significantly faster the GP bikes are and the adjustments it takes in their bike handling skills. The grins on their faces after their first ride on a GP bike says it all.I've also connected with some of the folks at SMRI (Sandia Motorcycle Racing, Inc.) www.smri-racing.org
all of whom have been extremely friendly and full of great information. Last Saturday and Sunday, SMRI held both Supermoto and Superbike races. Watching from corner#4, Yo Yo was very helpful; showing me the flags, what each one is used for and when, and also what I should expect to do if there is a crash or a problem with a bike. I felt more a part of the race after that. I'm ever so grateful no one crashed on "my" corner and very thankful that the guy who did crash on corner #7(?), walked away with no major injuries, except for the bike : (Another added thrill last weekend was watching two women racers, Divinia and Shana. They are both excellent racers and quite competitive.Reading more of the book "The Perfect Vehicle" as well an article by Frederica regarding her experience with DCE (Ducati Racing Experience), I'm seeing how other women have integrated themselves into what continues to be seen as a "man's world". Their enthusiasm and excitment is contagious and there descriptions of their experiences just make you want to get on a bike and ride (or race)!After the MSF course this weekend, I'm certain I will have a better appreciation for just how much it takes to become skilled at riding and racing. One day I hope to be on the track in ABQ, learning to corner with the rest of the student riders and with Troy's guidance.Time to start saving for a race bike :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home